Poblano Corn Chowder With Shrimp
- 4 tablespoons butter - (1/2 stick) room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 3 celery stalks coarsely chopped
- 2 large poblano chilies seeded, chopped
- 2 cans cream-style corn - (14 3/4 to 15 oz ea)
- 1 package frozen corn kernels - (16 oz) thawed
- 2 cans low-salt chicken broth - (14 oz ea)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Mix 2 tablespoons butter and flour in small bowl to blend; set aside.
Finely chop onion and celery in processor. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion-celery mixture and chilies; sauté until soft, about 6 minutes.
Add creamed corn and next 5 ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat. Whisk in butter-flour mixture and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors.
Add shrimp and 4 tablespoons cilantro; simmer until shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle chowder into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
This recipe yields 12 first-course or 6 main-course servings.
You'll also love
- Poached Salmon Fillets With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Piperade Salad With Olives 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pinwheel Peach Cobbler 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Sausage, Tomatoes, And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Lobster, Wild... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lobster Rolls 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grits With Shrimp And Roasted Red... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Corn On The Cob With... 0/5 (0 Votes)