Oranges Poached In Riesling And Rosemary Syrup
- 1 bottle Johannisberg Riesling - (750 ml)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 navel oranges peel and white
- pith removed, oranges halved crosswise
- 2 strips orange part of peel - (3" by 1/2") cut into slivers
- 1 teaspoon fresh whole rosemary leaves stripped from stems
Combine wine and sugar in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes. Add oranges, peel, and rosemary. Simmer 8 minutes to blend flavors.
Using slotted spoon, transfer oranges to medium bowl. Boil liquid in saucepan until reduced to 1 1/3 cups, about 8 minutes. Pour syrup over oranges. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled.)
This recipe yields 4 servings.