Brie and Wild Mushroom Fondue
- 1 lb. Brie (chopped)
- 2 T butter
- 1 C dry white wine
- 1 C water
- 1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 8 oz. fresh shitake mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 T chopped shallots
- 2 T cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small saucepan, bring the cup of water to a boil. Add porcini mushrooms. Remove from the heat and let stand until the mushrooms soften (about 20 minutes). Transfer mushrooms to cutting board and chop. Return to soaking liquid.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add shiitake mushrooms and saute until tender (about 3 minutes). Add shallots and saute for a minute. Add porcini and liquid, leaving sediment from liquid behind (If necessary, strain through coffee filter to remove grit). Turn heat up to high. Simmer until liquid evaporates (about 3 minutes). Cover and Chill (can be made 8 hours ahead).
3. In a large bowl, toss brie with cornstarch. Add wine to mushrooms and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add cheese to mushrooms by the handful until melted. Whisk until mixture is smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer to a cheese fondue pot and keep warm with burner. Serve right away.