Korean Sesame Beef with Lettuce Wraps
We like serve this with the Kimchi Rice found elsewhere in this book. Spoon some of it into the wraps with the beef.
- 3/4 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 4 cups hot cooked short-grain rice
- 1 cup kimchi
- 16 red leaf lettuce leaves
1. Cut steak across grain into 1/4-inch slices; cut slices into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Cut strips into 3-inch-long pieces. Combine steak pieces, 1/4 cup onions, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and sesame oil.
2. Heat a 14-inch wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to wok, swirling to coat. Add half of steak mixture to wok; stir-fry 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon cooked steak mixture into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil and remaining steak mixture. Sprinkle with remaining onions and sesame seeds. Spoon 1/4 cup rice, about 2 tablespoons steak mixture, and 1 tablespoon kimchi onto each lettuce leaf; roll up. Serve immediately.