Chicken 'n' Rice Hot Dish
- 1/2 * 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1/4 * 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 * 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 * 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 * 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 * 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 * 1/4 teaspoon salt
- * Dash pepper
- * Dash garlic powder
- 3/4 * 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 * 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 * 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 * 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 * 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
* Combine rice and water; transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with spinach.
* In a nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, melt butter. Stir in the flour, curry, salt, pepper and garlic powder until blended. Gradually whisk in broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
* Remove from the heat; whisk in mayonnaise until blended. Pour half of the sauce over spinach. Top with chicken and remaining sauce.
* Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and rice is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 325 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 659 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 very lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.