Grits With Shrimp And Roasted Red Bell Pepper
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 30 uncooked large shrimp peeled, deveined
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
Butter 11- by 7-inch glass baking dish. Char peppers over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed, and coarsely chop peppers.
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, green onions, and chopped thyme. Sauté until onions wilt, about 2 minutes. Add grits and stir 1 minute. Whisk in broth and cream. Simmer until liquid is absorbed and grits are thick and tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Whisk in salt, hot pepper sauce, and black pepper. Fold in roasted bell peppers. Spread grits in prepared dish. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Press shrimp, on their sides, onto top of grits in single layer. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until grits are heated through, shrimp are just opaque in center, and cheese begins to brown, about 20 minutes. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
This recipe yields 6 main-course servings.