Grilled Butterflied Lamb Leg And Vegetables With Dressing
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely-ground black pepper
- 1 leg of lamb - (5 to 5 1/2 lbs) boned, butterflied, and trimmed
- DRESSING AND VEGETABLES:
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 shallots minced
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 medium zucchini trimmed, and each
- quartered lengthwise
- 6 medium yellow crookneck squash trimmed, and each
- cut lengthwise into 1/3"-thick slices
- 3 large red bell peppers stemmed, seeded, and each cut lengthwise into 6 strips
- 4 medium red onions peeled, halved
- through root end/ each half cut 3 wedges
- with some of core attached
- 2 cups red Zinfandel
- GRILLING AND SERVING:
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray as needed
- 1 3/4 cups crumbled feta cheese - (abt 7 oz)
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Fresh mint sprigs
For lamb: Mix first 6 ingredients in medium bowl. Place lamb in 15- by 10- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Pour marinade over. Turn lamb, spreading marinade to coat evenly on all sides. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 day, turning lamb occasionally.
For dressing and vegetables: Whisk lemon juice, shallots, oil, parsley, and mint in medium bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
Place zucchini, yellow squash, and red bell peppers in separate dishes. Sprinkle each lightly with salt and pepper. Spoon 1/3 cup dressing over each and turn to coat; reserve remaining dressing.
Arrange red onions in large glass dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour wine over onions. Let vegetables and onions marinate at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours, basting or turning occasionally.
For grilling and serving: Spray grill rack with nonstick spray and prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill vegetables in batches until just tender, turning occasionally, about 15 minutes for onions, 10 minutes for red bell peppers, and 8 minutes for zucchini and yellow squash. Transfer vegetables to baking sheets. Reserve red Zinfandel from onions to baste lamb.
Place butterflied lamb on grill rack with some rosemary and thyme marinade still clinging to lamb. Grill until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 130 degrees for medium-rare, turning occasionally and basting with reserved red Zinfandel from onions, about 35 minutes. Transfer lamb to work surface; let rest 15 minutes.
Starting at 1 corner and positioning knife at slight angle, slice lamb thinly across grain. Arrange lamb slices on large platter. Arrange grilled vegetables around lamb. Drizzle vegetables with reserved lemon-herb dressing. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Garnish with fresh rosemary, thyme, and mint sprigs.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.