Apricot Jam Tart
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter - (1 1/2 sticks) cut small pieces
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons ground amaretti cookies see * Note (from about 3 cookies)
- 1 3/4 cups apricot or fig jam
- 1 large egg beaten to blend
* Note: Italian macaroons, available at Italian markets and some supermarkets.
Blend flour, sugar, lemon peel, baking powder, and salt in processor until combined. Add butter; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 2 eggs; using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball. Flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight. Let soften slightly before rolling out.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Set aside 1/3 of dough. Roll out remaining dough on lightly floured surface to 14-inch round. Transfer to prepared tart pan. Trim overhang to 1 inch. Fold in dough to make double-thick sides. Freeze crust 15 minutes. Sprinkle amaretti crumbs in crust. Spoon jam into crust, smoothing with spatula.
Roll out reserved dough to 11- by 6-inch rectangle. Cut into eight 1/2-inch-wide strips. Arrange strips atop jam to form lattice. Brush lattice with beaten egg.
Bake tart until crust is golden, about 45 minutes. Cool at least 6 hours to allow jam to set. Cut into wedges and serve.
This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.