Apple Crumb Pie
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter cut small pieces
- 5 tablespoons chilled solid vegetable shortening cut small pieces
- 2 tablespoons ice water or more if needed
- 3 3/4 pounds Granny Smith apples - (abt 10 med) peeled, cored, and thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter - (3/4 stick) cut small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For Crust: Mix flour and salt in processor. Add butter and shortening; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Drizzle 2 tablespoons ice water over. Process until moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic. Chill 1 hour.
Roll out dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to 14-inch round. Transfer dough to 10-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Fold overhang under. Crimp edges decoratively. Pierce bottom of crust all over with fork. Freeze crust 15 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep frozen.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line crust with aluminum foil. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 15 minutes. Remove weights and foil. Bake until golden and set, about 10 minutes longer. Cool.
For Filling: Toss apples and lemon juice in medium bowl. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Add apples; sauté until coated with cinnamon butter and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk cider and cornstarch in small bowl. Add to apples. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Transfer apple mixture to large bowl. Mix in applesauce. Cool completely. (Crust and filling can be made 1 day ahead. Cover crust; let stand at room temperature. Cover and chill filling.)
For Topping: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using fingertips, rub all ingredients in bowl until moist clumps form.
Place filling in crust. Sprinkle topping over apples. Bake until topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes.
This recipe yields 8 servings.