Wild Mushrooms With Chestnuts And Thyme
- 6 tablespoons butter - (3/4 stick)
- 8 large shallots sliced (abt 2 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pounds assorted fresh wild mushrooms sliced (such as stemmed shiitake, crimini, and oyster)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup Madeira
- 1 jar roasted peeled whole chestnuts - (7.25 oz) halved (abt 1 1/2 cups halved chestnuts)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender and golden, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds.
Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter and stir until melted. Add mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until tender and brown, about 10 minutes.
Add thyme and stir 1 minute. Add Madeira and simmer until almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Add chestnuts and whipping cream and simmer until cream thickens and coats mushroom mixture, about 1 minute. Season generously with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl; sprinkle with chives.
This recipe yields 10 servings.