Wild And Brown Rice Pilaf With Butternut Squash, Cranberries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 cups cubed (1/2") peeled seeded
- butternut squash
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 Fuji apple peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; sauté 5 minutes. Add ginger, curry powder, cumin, and garlic; stir 1 minute. Stir in squash and next 4 ingredients. Add 3 3/4 cups water and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in cranberries. Cover; let stand until cranberries soften, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand uncovered at room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap; rewarm in microwave.)
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Per serving: calories, 271; total fat, 4 g; saturated fat, 0.5 g; cholesterol, 0.