Spiced Whipped Sweet Potatoes With Brown Sugar
- 6 red-skinned sweet potatoes [yams] - (8 oz ea)
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick) room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Orange peel strips (optional)
Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 400 degrees. Pierce sweet potatoes in several places with fork; place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until tender when pierced with fork, about 55 minutes. Cool slightly.
Cut potatoes in half. Scoop out pulp into large bowl; discard peel. Add brown sugar, butter, lemon juice, grated orange peel, ground cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg to sweet potato pulp. Using electric mixer, beat until mixture is smooth; season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, or cover with plastic wrap and rewarm in microwave oven on high until heated through.)
Mound sweet potatoes in serving bowl. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and orange peel strips, if desired.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.