Spiced Pumpkin Soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped ripe banana
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 5 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 2 cups canned pure pumpkin
- 3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk see * Note
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* Note: Canned unsweetened coconut milk is sold at Indian, Southeast Asian, and Latin American markets and at many supermarkets.
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrot and next 6 ingredients and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Transfer mixture to processor and blend until smooth. Return mixture to pot. Add broth and all remaining ingredients except cilantro. Boil soup over medium-high heat 15 minutes to blend flavors. Cool slightly.
Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate.)
Bring soup to simmer. Divide among 8 bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
A medley of exotic spices plus coconut milk and banana add complexity and rich flavor.