Spiced Pumpkin Muffins
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray as needed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas) lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup coarsely-chopped walnuts lightly toasted
- 1 1/4 cups canned pure pumpkin
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter - (3/4 stick) melted
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 15 standard muffin cups (2/3-cup capacity) with nonstick spray.
Whisk both flours, both sugars, baking powder, spices, and salt in large bowl to blend. Mix in half of pumpkin seeds and half of walnuts.
Whisk pumpkin, milk, eggs, melted butter, and ginger in medium bowl to blend. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until incorporated (do not overmix).
Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each cup. Sprinkle remaining pumpkin seeds and walnuts over. Bake until muffins are golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Turn muffins out onto rack and cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store muffins airtight at room temperature.)
This recipe yields 15 muffins.