Roasted Root Vegetables With Thyme And Marjoram Vinaigrette
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray as needed
- 9 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme plus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram plus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 2 pounds medium yams (red-skinned sweet potatoes) peeled, halved
- lengthwise, crosscut 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" pcs
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots peeled, and cut 3/4"-thick rounds - (abt 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds parsnips peeled, and cut 3/4"-thick rounds - (abt 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds rutabagas peeled, and cut 1/2" pieces - (abt 4 cups)
- 2 medium red onions - (abt 1 lb) peeled, root
- ends left intact, cut 1/2"-thick wedges
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Fresh parsley sprigs for garnish
Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Spray 2 large rimmed baking sheets with nonstick spray.
Whisk 6 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons thyme, and 2 tablespoons marjoram in large bowl. Add yams, carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, and onions and toss to coat. Sprinkle vegetables generously with salt and pepper and divide between prepared baking sheets. Roast vegetables until tender and brown in spots, turning occasionally, about 50 minutes. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. If desired, rewarm in 350 degree oven about 15 minutes, or microwave on high until heated through, about 6 minutes, before continuing.)
Whisk balsamic vinegar, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, and 1 1/2 teaspoons marjoram to blend in small bowl. Drizzle over roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and lemon peel. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Transfer to platter; garnish with parsley sprigs. Serve hot or at room temperature.
This recipe yields 10 servings.