Parnsips And Celery Root With Nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter - (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 pounds parsnips peeled, and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 1/4 pounds celery root (celeriac) trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/2" cubes - (abt 2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh celery leaves
Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until almost tender, about 4 minutes (do not brown). Add parsnips and celery root and toss to coat. Add broth, whipping cream, and nutmeg and bring to boil.
Reduce heat to medium. Cover tightly and simmer until parsnips and celery root are tender and liquid is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally and adding water by tablespoonfuls if mixture gets dry, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm vegetables over low heat, stirring often, until heated through before continuing.)
Stir in celery leaves. Transfer to bowl and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.