Spicy Red Lentil Chili from Wegmans
- 1 c. Red Lentils
- 4 cups + 2 Tbls. Water, divided
- 2 Tbls. Butter
- 1/2 c. Onion, diced small
- 1/2 c. (1 stalk) Celery, diced small
- 2 Tbls. Garlic, chopped
- 1 med. (1/2 lb) Tomato, cored and diced (1 cup) (1 can)
- 2 c. Vegetable broth
- 1 Tbls. Tabasco sauce
- 1/8 tsp. Turmeric
- 1/8 tsp. Cumin
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 1/8 tsp. Chili powder
- 1 Tbls. Cornstarch
- 1/4 c. Green bell pepper, finely diced
Adapted from wegmans.com
1. Bring lentils and 2 cups water to boil; turn off heat. Remove half the lentils and liquid and place in food processor and puree about 1 minute. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in soup pot. Add onions & sweat (soften without browning) 2 minutes. Add celery and garlic and sweat 5 more minutes. Add tomatoes and cook 5 minutes.
3. Add vegetable broth, 2 cups water and seasonings. Bring to simmer.
4. Add reserved whole and pureed lentils and liquid and cook until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
5. Combine cornstarch and 2 Tbls. water to make a slurry. Bring soup to boil, add slurry and stir 30 seconds to thicken slightly. Turn off heat. Add green peppers. Season with salt to taste.