Gail Simmons' Strawberry Tart
Serve warm, with ice cream.
- 1 c flour
- 1 t baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for coating pan
- 1 c sugar plus 2 T
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 t vanilla
- 8 oz fresh strawberries
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 t cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9 inch springform pan. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. Using a mixer at a low speed, incorporate flour mixture until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 20 minutes.
3. Arrange strawberries in concentric circles on top of dough. Pour lemon juice evenly over strawberries. Bake tart until edges are golden and center is set, about 45 minutes.
4. When tart is cool,run a sharp paring knife around the edge and remove the sides of the pan.