Chef John's Crispy Onion Rings PRINT
Published: May 08, 2013
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry potato flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup chilled club soda
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs, or as needed
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices and separated into rings
- fine salt to taste
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Whisk together flour, cornstarch, dry potato flakes, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in club soda to make a smooth batter.
Place panko bread crumbs in a shallow bowl.
Heat oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place a few onion rings at a time into the bowl of batter and turn to coat all sides with batter.
Remove onion rings from batter and place into pan of panko bread crumbs; turn to coat completely with crumbs.
Cook a few rings at a time in the hot oil until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer to a cooling rack set over paper towels to drain. Season with salt to taste and serve.
Note: Good “Prep” video for this recipe on website. Very helpful tips/suggestions from reviews of this recipe available on website.