Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 tbls fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 22mins
1) Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup sugar in a mixing bowl, set aside in fridge for 1 hour.
2) Bring the milk and cream to a low boil in a heavy saucepan. Remove from heat.
3) In a large mixing bowl beat eggs until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
4) Gradually add 3/4 cups sugar to eggs, mixing in well.
5) Temper the eggs in the milk/cream mixture by adding eggs slowly (as to not scramble them).
6) Return custard to low heat, stirring occasionally until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and temperature reaches 170 degrees (about 6 minutes).
7) Add vanilla and strawberry mixture to custard mix.
8) Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours before putting into ice cream maker.