Tandoori-Spiced Chicken With Tomato-Ginger Chutney
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons mild paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (7 to 8 oz ea)
- 3 cups chopped seeded tomatoes - (abt 1 1/4 lbs)
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
For marinade: Whisk yogurt and next 9 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
For chutney: Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Chutney can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush grill with oil. Transfer marinade-coated chicken to barbecue grill. Grill chicken until cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Cut crosswise on diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Transfer to platter. Serve with chutney.
This recipe yields 6 main-course servings.