- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove peeled, crushed
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh whole basil leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 pounds small cipolline onions blanched, peeled (or small boiling onions)
Place all ingredients except onions in heavy large pot. Bring to boil over high heat. Add onions; reduce heat to medium and simmer until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer onions to jar with lid.
Increase heat to high and boil until liquid is reduced to 1 3/4 cups, about 20 minutes. Pour liquid over onions and cool.
Cover onion mixture and refrigerate until flavors blend, at least 1 week and up to 1 month.
This recipe yields 6 servings.