CLAMS: Clams with Sausage
- 4 dozen littleneck clams, cleaned and scrubbed (see Note)
- 2 sweet Italian sausages (about 10oz), casing removed and meat separated into small pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 of small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 5 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 3/4 cups sweet white wine, such as Muscat
- 10 large fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Adapted from keyingredient.com
In a large saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onions and cook, until soft, for about 3-4 min.
Add the garlic, celery and fennel and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Add the sausage meat and cook for another 5 minutes, until the meat is nicely browned.
Add the wine (both dry and sweet) and bring to boil. Add the tarragon.
Add the clams, cover with a lid and cook, shaking the saucepan from time to time, until the clams are open, for about 6 minutes.
Add the heavy cream, gently shake the saucepan to mix, and simmer over low heat uncovered, for another 2-3 minutes.
Spoon the clams into bowls or soup plates.
Stir the parsley into the broth, season with pepper and then pour over the clams.
Serve with fresh bread.