Pumpkin Sandwich Cake
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 of an 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 recipe Chocolate Cream Icing, below
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 46mins
Adapted from recipe.com
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease bottoms and sides of two 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; lightly flour pans. In bowl combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. In a second bowl beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in pumpkin. Add flour mixture; beat just until combined. Spread cake batter in prepared pans. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near centers come out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; remove and cool thoroughly.
3. For filling, in a chilled mixing bowl beat whipping cream to soft peaks; set aside. In a second mixing bowl beat cream cheese until smooth; beat in powdered sugar. Fold in whipped cream. To assemble, place one cake layer on serving platter. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over bottom cake layer. Top with second cake layer. Refrigerate while preparing Chocolate Cream Icing.
4. If Chocolate Cream icing is too thin, cover and chill 30 minutes until of spreading consistency. Too thick, add a teaspoon of milk or cream. Spread over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle lightly with pumpkin pie spice. Chill cake at least 1 hour before serving.
5. Store cake, loosely covered, in refrigerator. Makes 8 servings.
6. Chocolate Cream Icing: In small saucepan bring 1/2 cup whipping cream just to boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Pour over 1 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate pieces in medium bowl (do not stir). Let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool 15 minutes. Makes 1-1/4 cups.
Per serving: Calories 466, Total Fat 26 g, Saturated Fat 16 g, Monounsaturated Fat 8 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 137 mg, Sodium 184 mg, Carbohydrate 56 g, Total Sugar 41 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 7 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 7%, Iron 16%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet