Herbed Goat Cheese And Roasted-Vegetable Sandwiches
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray as needed
- 2 medium zucchini each cut lengthwise
- into 4 slices
- 1 large red bell pepper quartered
- 1 large eggplant cut crosswise
- into 1/2"-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 5 ounces soft fresh goat cheese room temperature
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 8 slices whole-grain bread or whole-grain rolls
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves - (packed)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick spray.
Arrange zucchini, bell pepper, and eggplant on prepared baking sheets. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 15 minutes. Turn vegetables over. Roast until tender and brown in spots, about 10 minutes longer for zucchini and 25 minutes longer for bell pepper and eggplant.
Whisk 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, vinegar, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large bowl to blend. Add roasted vegetables and toss to coat.
Mix cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, and lemon peel in medium bowl. Place all bread slices on work surface. Spread each with cheese mixture. Top 4 bread slices with roasted vegetables, then spinach leaves. Cover with remaining bread slices, cheese-side down. Cut each sandwich in half.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 342; total fat, 16 g; saturated fat, 7 g; cholesterol, 16 mg.