Kidney Bean Salad with Walnuts and Cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 7 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 15- to 16-ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 medium-size red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus additional for garnish
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Additional chopped walnuts
Adapted from flickr.com
Toast cumin in skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Whisk vinegar and oil in bowl to combine.
Combine kidney beans, onion, 1 1/2 cups walnuts, and 1/2 cup chopped cilantro in large bowl. Add vinegar and oil mixture. Crumble cumin seeds between fingers and add to bean mixture. Toss gently to blend; season with salt and pepper. Let salad stand at room temperature for 2 hours. (Can be made 6 hours ahead; refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Line and fill large bowl with lettuce leaves. Spoon salad into bowl. Garnish salad with additional cilantro and walnuts and serve.