Tuscan Artichoke and Spinach Strudel
- 1 1/4 cups chopped baby portabello mushrooms
- 1/3 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes,chopped( could use roasted red peppers)
- 4 tsp oil from sun-dried tomatoes, divided
- 1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped thawed frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Paremsan cheese, divided
- 1 tube (8oz) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp finely chopped walnuts(optional)
PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F.
In a non stick skillet, saute mushrooms and tomatoes in 2 tsp oil from sun dried tomatoes until mushrooms are tender, cool to room temp.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine spinach, pesto, and pepper.
Add artichokes,mozzarella cheese, 5 tbsp Parmesan cheese and mushroom mixture, mix well.
Unroll crescent dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet into one long rectangle, seal seams and perforations.
Roll out into a 14 inx 9 in rectangle.
Spread filling in a 3-in wide strip down center of rectangle.
On each long side, cut 1-in wide strips to within 1/2 inch of filling.
Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling.
Whisk egg and remaining oil, brush over dough.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Bake 10 more minutes, until golden brown.
Cool 5 minutes before cutting into 12 pieces.