Henry's Shrimp and Grits
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tbs diced celery
- 1/2 tbs diced fresh garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tbs Vietnamese chile garlic paste
- 1/2 tbs Cajun or creole seasoning
- 1 to 2 tbs hot sauce, to taste
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup water 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups quick grits
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 gallon vegetable oil
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup fish fry
- 1 1/4 lbs small shrimp, deveined
In a Dutch oven over medium heat to medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Saute the onion, pepper, celery and garlic for 10 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, chile garlic paste, Cajun seasoning and hot sauce and stir well to combine. Add milk, water and cream and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low-medium. Add grits and cheese. Cook, stirring frequently, until grits are done, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the shrimp. In a Dutch oven or fryer, heat oil to 350 degrees. Place the half-and-half in a medium bowl. Place fish fry in a seperate medium bowl. Dip the shrimp in half-and-half and shake off excess. Toss in fish fry and shake off excess. Fry the shrimp in batches until done, about 2 to 3 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well.
Fold shrimp into grits.
You'll also love
- Habanero Shrimp and Killer Grits 0/5 (0 Votes)