Zucchini Fritters With Herbs And Cheese
- 5 zucchini - (abt 1 1/4 lbs total) grated
- 1 cup finely-chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 cup freshly-grated pecorino Romano cheese (abt 3 oz)
- 1 cup toasted whole wheat breadcrumbs - (scant)
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup plain yogurt
Toss zucchini, onion and salt in large colander. Let stand 1 hour; squeeze as dry as possible. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Mix in next 6 ingredients.
Pour vegetable oil into heavy large saucepan to depth of 1 inch. Attach deep-fry thermometer to side of saucepan; heat oil over medium-high heat to 350 degrees.
Working in batches, shape zucchini-onion mixture by tablespoonfuls into balls. Add to hot oil. Fry in batches until fritters are brown, turning once, about 3 minutes total.
Using slotted spoon, transfer fritters to paper towels to drain. Transfer to platter. Serve with yogurt.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.