Tomato, Black-Eyed Pea, And Bell Pepper Stew
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups chopped bell peppers (mix of yellow, orange, and green)
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 teaspoons ancho chili powder (or other chili powder)
- 2 cans fire-roasted tomatoes in juice (14 1/2 oz ea)
- 1 package frozen black-eyed peas - (16 oz)
- 2 1/2 cups canned vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican four-cheese mix
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onion; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder; sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes with juices, black-eyed peas, and broth. Bring to simmer.
Reduce heat to medium-low; partially cover and simmer until peas are tender, about 35 minutes. Season stew to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.)
Divide stew among 6 bowls. Top each with 1/4 cup cheese and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.