Smoked Salmon And Basil Rolls With Creme Fraiche
- 12 slices smoked salmon - (4" by 2 1/2" ea)
- 3/4 cup crème fraîche more or less (or sour cream)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
Place 1 salmon slice on work surface. Spread 2 teaspoons crème fraîche over salmon. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons chopped basil. Sprinkle with pepper.
Starting at 1 short end, roll up salmon slice, enclosing filling. Spread 1 teaspoon crème fraîche over top of roll; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon chopped basil. Cut roll crosswise into 5 slices (keep sliced roll together). Repeat with remaining salmon, crème fraîche, and chopped basil. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Transfer salmon rolls to plate; cover and chill.)
Arrange basil leaves on platter. Using small spatula, top each basil leaf with 1 sliced salmon roll, fanning slightly.
This recipe yields 8 first-course servings.