Potato Salad With Toasted Cumin Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds red-skinned new potatoes unpeeled, and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped seeded drained pickle d jalapeño
- chilies from jar
- 2 tablespoons liquid reserved from chilies
Toast cumin seeds in heavy small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Cool. Using spice grinder, coarsely grind cumin seeds.
Transfer to medium bowl. Whisk in lemon juice, then oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
Place potatoes in large pot. Add enough cold water to cover. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Boil potatoes until tender when pierced with skewer, about 8 minutes. Drain.
Transfer to large bowl. Add eggs, green onions, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño chilies, and 2 tablespoons chili liquid. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer to serving bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
This recipe yields 6 servings.