Chicken Breast Stuffed with Garlic Spinach
Detroit Free Press
- 1 1/4 lbs (2 lg halves) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/4 lb cremini mushrooms, cleaned, thinly sliced
- 3 lg cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- Pan sauce, optional
- 1/2 cup Madeira or white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 T unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 350 deg.
Butterlfy each chicken breast by carefully slicing it horizontally almost in half but not entirely through. Open up the breast so it is flat. Using a meat mallet, pound it if necessary along the center seam so you have as uniform a piece as possible. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
In an ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the mushrooms about 5 min or until just tender. Add the garlic and saute 1 min. Stir in the raisins and cook 1 min. Add the spinach and saute about 3 min or until it cooks down and starts to wilt. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
Evenly divide and place the spinach mixture at one end of each chicken breast leaving a 1/2" border on the sides. Sprinkle 2 T of the cheese on the spinach. Roll up the chicken, encasing the stuffing and tucking in the ends. Tie with kitchen string, if desired.
In the skillet, add more oil if needed, heat over med heat. Add the chicken rolls and brown on each side. Once browned, transfer to the oven and bake 13-15 min or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove from the oven and transfer to a platter and cover to keep warm.
To make the pan sauce: set the skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup Madeira or white wine to the skillet and deglaze it, scraping up any browned bits. Most of the wine will evaporate. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and swirl in 1 T unsalted butter until it melts. Strain the sauce.
Cut the chicken rolls into 1/4" thick slices and serve with the sauce if desired.
You'll also love
- Know Your Apples 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Crock Pot Traditional Beef Stew 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Boursin Cheese Mashed Potato Bake 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Spicy Broccoli 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pork simmered in milk and herbs... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Garlic Cheese Rolls 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Cream of Spinach Soup 5/5 (1 Votes)