- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms stemmed, and caps sliced
- 6 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups arborio rice (or medium-grain rice)
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable stock (or canned vegetable broth)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese - (abt 3 oz)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- White truffle oil (optional) (available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets)
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add all mushrooms; sauté until brown, about 3 minutes. Add rice; stir 3 minutes. Add wine and stir until almost absorbed.
Add stock and bay leaves; simmer uncovered until liquid is almost absorbed, mixture is creamy, and rice is just cooked, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
Discard bay leaves. Stir in 1 cup Parmesan cheese, herbs, and butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle lightly with truffle oil, if desired. Serve, passing additional Parmesan separately.
* Available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets.
This recipe yields 8 first-course or 4 main-course servings.