Lobster Stew With Tomatoes And Peppers
- 4 live lobsters - (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs ea)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 medium Hungarian yellow wax peppers finely chopped (or 1 large green bell pepper)
- 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes seeded, and finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 bottle clam juice - (8 oz)
- 1 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Working in batches and using tongs, lower lobsters into large stockpot of rapidly boiling water. Boil 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer lobsters to platter. Cool completely.
Working over bowl to catch juices from lobsters and using kitchen shears, cut tails from lobsters. Cut each tail into 3 rounds. Split open lobster heads and bodies; remove tomalley (green liver) and reserve (about 2 tablespoons total). Divide each large claw into 2 pieces, cutting 1 side open for easy removal of claw meat. Set aside lobster pieces and juices.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large deep skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers; sauté until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, bay leaf, thyme, and pinch of sugar. Sprinkle with salt. Bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens, about 20 minutes. Add brandy and simmer 2 minutes. Add all reserved lobster pieces and juices to skillet; simmer 5 minutes. Mix in clam juice and 1 cup water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes longer.
Add reserved tomalley, 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, and minced garlic to skillet with lobster and simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Transfer lobster pieces to bowl.
Transfer sauce to blender and puree until smooth, thinning with more water if desired. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer sauce to serving bowl. Top with lobster pieces. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.4/5 (1068 Votes)
- Tarragon Roast Turkey With Vermouth 0/5 (0 Votes)
- New England Seafood Chowder 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes With Green Onions... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Butternut Squash And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Maple Seared Scallops 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Delight 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Halibut With Tomato-Tarragon Cream... 0/5 (0 Votes)