Cross Rib Roast
You'll love this beef roast with gravy made from pan drippings with wine, garlic, paprika and Dijon mustard to add sophisticated flavors.
- 1 (5 pound) beef cross rib roast
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 10 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed, or to taste
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Place the roast into a roasting pan. Set aside.
In a bowl, mix Dijon mustard, 10 cloves of garlic, black pepper, garlic powder, salt, dry mustard powder, olive oil and 1 tablespoon paprika into a paste. Spread the paste over the top and sides of the roast.
Pour water and red wine into the roasting pan, and sprinkle in the dry onion soup mix. Drop in the beef bouillon cubes.
Sprinkle the top of the roast generously with more paprika and 3 more crushed cloves of garlic. Cover the roast with aluminum foil.
Roast 1 hour.
Reduce temperature to 350°F. Roast until the meat is tender, about 2 more hours, basting occasionally with pan liquid. Remove foil during last 30 minutes of roasting to help brown the meat.
Remove roast to a platter.
Place roasting pan over medium heat, and bring the liquid to a simmer.
Scrape up and dissolve any brown flavor bits from the bottom of the pan into the liquid.
Stir the golden mushroom soup into the pan drippings until the gravy is smooth and thickened.
To serve, slice the roast, pour hot gravy over the slices, and serve with remaining gravy.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Danish 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Noodles Romanoff 3.7/5 (188 Votes)
- Puerto Rican Carne Molida - Ground... 3.9/5 (61 Votes)
- Bacon Stuffed French Toast 3.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Creamy Beef Stroganoff 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Korean Beef Lettuce Wraps 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Robin Chapman's Mississippi Roast 3.7/5 (54 Votes)