Braised Rabbit With Olives
- 1 rabbit - (abt 2 1/2 lbs) cut into 8 pieces
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1 pound white-skinned potatoes peeled, and cut into 1" cubes
- 3 bell peppers sliced
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sliced pitted brine-cured
- Sicilian green olives
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup drained capers
- 3 large garlic cloves chopped
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water or more if needed
- Fresh Italian parsley sprigs
Rinse rabbit and pat dry; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add rabbit to pot and brown, turning often, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer rabbit to bowl.
Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pot. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Mix in potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, olives, celery, capers, garlic, and thyme; cook 5 minutes. Mix in vinegar and 1/4 cup water. Add rabbit. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes.
Spoon some of vegetable mixture over rabbit. Cover and simmer until rabbit is tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon vegetables into large dish. Top with rabbit. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Tuscan White Bean Salad with... 4.4/5 (129 Votes)
- Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce 4/5 (176 Votes)
- Roasted Veal Chops with Grapes 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Tarragon Roast Turkey With Vermouth 0/5 (0 Votes)
- New England Seafood Chowder 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes With Green Onions... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Butternut Squash And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- French Veal 0/5 (0 Votes)