Baked Artichokes Stuffed With Anchovies And Garlic
- 4 ounces French bread - (1/4 of 1-lb loaf) crusts removed, and bread torn into pieces
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup purchased unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 6 anchovy fillets finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon halved
- 6 medium artichokes
- 2 garlic cloves halved
Place bread in medium bowl. Pour warm water over; soak 5 minutes. Drain, then squeeze bread dry. Return bread to same bowl. Add 1/2 cup oil, purchased breadcrumbs, mint, capers, anchovies, and chopped garlic; blend well. Season stuffing with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fill large bowl with water. Squeeze in juice from lemon.
Cut off all but 1 1/2 inches of stem from 1 artichoke. Peel stem with vegetable peeler. Starting at bottom of artichoke, snap off outer 3 rows of leaves. Cut off top 1/3 of artichoke. Spread leaves, exposing center. Remove center leaves and bristly choke. Place artichoke in lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
Pour cold water into 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish to reach depth of 1/2 inch. Add halved garlic.
Drain artichokes. Pack centers with stuffing. Place artichokes, stuffed-side down, in prepared dish. Drizzle with 1/4 cup oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover dish.
Bake until tester inserted into artichoke bottoms meets no resistance, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Place artichokes on platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Three Cheese Hot Artichoke Dip 4.5/5 (134 Votes)
- Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip 4.6/5 (110 Votes)
- Spinach Artichoke Pasta 4.5/5 (85 Votes)