Chorizo Sausage and Apple Dressing
Chorizo sausage gives this dressing recipe great flavors! You can substitute pork or Italian sausage, if you like. Serve as a side dish for holidays, or any time of year.
- 1 loaf bread cut into 1 inch cubes (or a bag of bread cubes)
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound fresh Chorizo sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples cored, and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 4 eggs, beaten
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Break out the large heavy cast iron skillet. You will be cooking on the stove top as well as baking in the oven. Or, when it comes time to mix, you can transfer into a baking dish.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter. Brown the sausage in the butter. DO NOT over cook the sausage. You just want to take the chill out and slightly color the outside, it will finish cooking when you bake the dressing.
Add the onion to the sausage and sautee for about 10 minutes.
Add the apple slices and sautee for another 5 minutes. If you like celery, add now as well.
Add the broth and bring everything to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Top with bread cubes, add 1/2 of the parsley and sprinkle with 1/2 the walnuts (do not mix yet)
Drizzle the buttermilk and 4 beaten eggs over the bread, as evenly as possible And finally, fold the bread mixture into the sausage mixture and mix gently. You want an even mix, but you do not want to over mix the bread cubes into bread crumbs.
Move the skillet to the oven, 325°F for 40 minutes. You will see the bread cubes just start to brown. Now, drizzle evenly the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter over the top and add the final bits of parsley and walnuts.
Return to the oven and finish browning the bread, about 20 minutes more.
You'll also love
- Apricot Orange Balls 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Green Bean Casserole 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Greek-Style Lemon Roast Chicken 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sugar Free Apple Pie 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Korean Beef Soup 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Easy Turkey or Chicken A La King 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Kathy's Cranberry Apple Pie 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Brined Roasted Turkey 5/5 (1 Votes)