Potato Gratin With Sage And Onions
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 red onions chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Melt butter in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and 2 tablespoons sage; sauté 5 minutes. Add potatoes and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to boil. Boil until water is completely absorbed, about 8 minutes. Add cream, salt, and pepper; bring to boil.
Transfer skillet to oven and bake until potatoes are tender and top is golden, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sage. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 8 servings.