Pearl Onion And Turnip Gratin
- 20 ounces pearl onions
- 2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 2 cups canned beef broth
- 8 cups diced peeled turnips (from abt 6 large)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated Gruyère cheese - (abt 8 oz)
Boil onions in large saucepan of boiling salted water 3 minutes to loosen skin. Drain. Peel onions.
Bring chicken and beef broths to boil in large pot. Add turnips; reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 3 cups broth.
Melt butter in same pot over medium-low heat. Add flour and thyme; stir 1 minute. Whisk 3 cups broth into pan, increase heat to medium-high and whisk until sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Add onions, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes.
Stir in cream and turnips. Simmer until vegetables are coated with sauce, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, cover and refrigerate in pan. Rewarm over low heat.)
Preheat broiler. Transfer mixture to 11- by 7- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle gratin with cheese. Broil until cheese melts and browns in spots and vegetables are heated through, about 5 minutes.
This recipe yields 12 servings.
You'll also love
- Pear-Ginger Strudel With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Sugar Snap Peas,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Chicken And Sun-Dried... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Parsnip Soup With Caramelized... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Hearts Of Romaine Salad With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cream Biscuits With Bacon And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Wine- And Citrus-Poached Pears... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Gilfeather Turnip Soup With Spinach 0/5 (0 Votes)