Parsnip Soup With Caramelized Apples
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1/2 stick)
- 3 Fuji apples - (abt 1 1/2 lbs) peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 carrot peeled, chopped
- 2 pounds parsnips peeled, chopped
- 4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add apples and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer 2/3 of apples to small bowl; set aside for garnish.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to apples in pot. Add onions and carrot; sauté until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add parsnips, broth, and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
Puree soup in 3 batches in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Stir in half-and-half and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover soup and apples separately and refrigerate. Bring soup to simmer before using.)
Rewarm reserved apples in small skillet over medium heat. Divide soup among 10 to 12 bowls. Top with apples.
This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
You'll also love
- Whipped Potatoes & Parsnips with... 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Roasted parsnip crisps 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Tarragon Roast Turkey With Vermouth 0/5 (0 Votes)
- New England Seafood Chowder 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes With Green Onions... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Butternut Squash And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apricot Bread Pudding With Caramel... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry Compote 0/5 (0 Votes)