Miniature Pumpkin Breads
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3 cups raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas), abt 15 oz
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups canned pure pumpkin - (abt 24 oz)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray six 5 3/4- by 3 1/4- by 2-inch baby loaf pans with nonstick spray. Spread seeds out on rimmed baking sheet. Roast until beginning to color, stirring twice, about 20 minutes. Cool seeds. Set aside 1/2 cup whole seeds for topping. Using on/off turns, coarsely grind remaining seeds in processor.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Mix in ground pumpkin seeds. Using electric mixer, beat pure pumpkin and both sugars in large bowl until blended. Gradually beat in oil, then eggs 1 at a time, then minced ginger. Stir in dry ingredients in 4 additions alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions.
Divide batter among prepared pans. Sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup whole pumpkin seeds. Bake breads until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in pans. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; store at room temperature.)
This recipe yields 6 loaves.