- 1/2 cup butter - (1 stick)
- 2 red onions chopped
- 5 green onions chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 jalapeño chile finely chopped, with seeds
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound andouille sausage cut 1/2" pieces (or hot Italian sausage)
- 3/4 pound ham cut 1/2" pieces
- 2 cans chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz ea)
- 1 can plum tomatoes - (16 oz) diced, with liquid
- 3 cups long-grain rice
Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add red onions, 4 green onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, jalapeño, Creole Seasoning, cayenne pepper and oregano. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Mix in tomato paste. Add sausage, ham, broth, tomatoes and rice. Bring mixture to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Garnish with remaining green onion and serve.
This recipe yields 10 servings.