Cuban black beans and rice with avocado, tomato and romaine lettuce salad
- for the rice and beans:
- 2 Tbs vegetable or olive oil
- scant one cup 1/2 -inch diced onion
- scant one cup 1/2-inch deseeded dice red or green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2-1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup uncooked regular white rice
- one 15-ounce can low sodium black beans
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or water)
- for the salad:
- chopped romaine lettuce as needed
- sliced tomatoes as needed
- 1 large ripe avocado, cubed (or more as needed)
- 2 parts olive oil to 1 part lime juice as needed, plus a little sprinkling of ground cumin for dressing salad
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Add a little splash of vegetable oil or olive oil to a large heavy bottomed soup pot on medium heat and cook one scant cup of diced onion and one scant cup of deseeded diced red or green pepper and a couple of minced cloves of garlic to soften.
At that point, add 1/2 tsp ground cumin, add 3 Tbs tomato paste and stir that in, add 1 cup medium grain regular white rice, one 15-ounce can low sodium black beans and 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth and bring it up to a simmer.
Turn the heat up a bit on that and stir it around a couple of times as it's coming to a simmer and, once it does come to a simmer, turn the heat to the lowest setting and put a lid on top.
The rice will take around 20 minutes to cook and, while that's happening, slice the tomatoes, avocado and lettuce.
When the rice is just about done, add a good splash of olive oil to the lettuce, tomatoes and avocado and add a good squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkling of ground cumin and gently toss to combine.
Serve the rice and beans up in a large shallow bowl with the salad right alongside.
You'll also love
- Pan Seared Talapia with lemon herb... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Chicken with Yellow Pepper-Olive... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Scallops with Apple Pan Sauce 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Cucumber Gimlet PRINT 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Avacado Salad with Tomatoes, Lime... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Chicken-Garlic Sausage, Kale, and... 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Spicy Romano Chicken with... 4.3/5 (30 Votes)
- Kolhrabi Carrot Fritters with... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)