Garlicky Mashed Potatoes
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vermouth (or dry white wine)
- 1/4 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
- 3 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled, and cut into 2" pieces
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 6 tablespoons butter - (3/4 stick) room temperature
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove papery outer skins from garlic heads. Cut off top 1/4-inch of each head. Place garlic heads in small baking dish. Drizzle with oil. Bring vermouth and broth to boil in saucepan. Pour vermouth mixture around garlic. Cover and bake until garlic is very tender, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly. Squeeze garlic from skins into small bowl. Mash garlic with fork. (Roasted garlic can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
Place potatoes in large pot with enough cold water to cover. Bring to boil. Cover partially and cook until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Return potatoes to pot and mash. Heat half-and-half in small saucepan until hot. Add to potatoes and mix well. Mix in roasted garlic and butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 10 servings.