Creamed Spinach With Golden Breadcrumb Topping
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (made from white bread)
- 6 packages frozen chopped spinach - (10 oz ea) thawed, squeezed dry
- 4 cups sour cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (abt 8 oz)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs beaten to blend
Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs; sauté until golden, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 8- by 8-inch glass baking dishes. Mix spinach, sour cream, milk, cheese, onion, and nutmeg in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in eggs. Divide spinach mixture between dishes. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)
Top with breadcrumbs. Bake until set, about 30 minutes.
This recipe yields 18 servings.