GRILLED BLACK BEAN AND SWEET POTATOE QUESADILLAS
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 2 2 cloves, garlic, minced
- 1 1 1 tblsp olive oil
- 15 1/2 15 1/2 15 1/2 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1 1 tblsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1 1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1 1 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 10 4 10 10 inch flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 1 1/2 1/2 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes**
- 1 1 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 1 1/2 1/2 cups tightly packed baby fresh spinach
- 1/2 3/4 1/2 3/4 1/2 - 3/4 cup purchased tomato salsa, corn salsa, and/or guacamole
In a large skillet, cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in black beans, lime juice, oregano, and cumin; heat through. Set aside.
Place one tortilla each on four large plates. Layer one-fourth of the sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons of the cheese, one-fourth of the bean mixture, one-fourth of the spinach, and another 2 tablespoons cheese over half of each tortilla. Fold each tortilla over filling, pressing gently.
For a charcoal grill, slide quesadillas from plates onto the grill rack directly over low coals. Grill, uncovered for 3-4 minutes or until cheese begins to melt; carefully turn. Grill second side for 4-5 minutes or until tortillas are crisp and filling is heated. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to low. Place quesadillas on the grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
Using a pizza wheel, cut each quesadilla into four wedges. Serve warm with tomato salsa, corn salsa, and/or guacamole.
**For mashed sweet potatoes: Wash, peel, and cut off woody portions and ends of about 12 ounces sweet potatoes. Cut into quarters. Cook, covered in enough boiling salted water to cover for 25-30 minutes or until tender. (Or place in a casserole with ½ cup water. Microwave, covered on 100% power [high] for 8-10 minutes or until tender, stirring once.) Drain and mash with a potato masher.