Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick) room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 package vanilla instant pudding mix - (3.4 oz)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 package semisweet chocolate chips - (12 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts - (abt 6 oz)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter heavy large cookie sheets.
Beat vegetable shortening and unsalted butter in large bowl until light. Gradually add white and brown sugars and beat mixture until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla pudding mix, vanilla extract, baking soda, water, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and salt and mix until well blended. Mix in oats, then flour. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
Drop cookie dough by large rounded spoonfuls (about 3 tablespoons each) onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies appear dry and tops are lightly cracked and soft when pressed, about 12 minutes (do not overbake). Cool cookies 5 minutes on cookie sheets. Transfer cookies to racks and cool. (Store cookies in airtight container.)
This recipe yields about 30 cookies.