Low carb, delicious Portobello mushroom pizzas are always a huge hit. Recipe is awesome as written but can switch up toppings if desired.
- 1 1 1 TB olive oil
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 1 28 1 lg can 28 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1 1 can tomato paste
- 1 1 1 can of water or red wine
- 1 1 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 1 1 TB Italian Seasoning (parsley, oregano, basil, thyme)
- 1 1 1 can pitted black olives, finely chopped
- 4 4 4 large portobello caps, cleaned and remove gills
- 4 4 4 ounces mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, shredded
- 2 2 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Fresh basil, chopped, optional
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 50mins
Heat oil in saucepan and add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Add tomato, water, garlic, and seasonings and simmer for 1 hour.
Add olives and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spread 1 cup of sauce in bottom of a large glass baking dish (large enough to hold 4 large mushroom caps).
Place mushroom caps upside down on sauce. Top each cap with 1/4 sauce, 1 ounce cheese and 1/2 tablespoon pine nuts.
Spray edges of mushrooms with olive oil.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Top with chopped basil and serve.
Can substitute 14 ounces can of sauce for the tomato paste and water.
Sauce makes about 2 cups.